Debian Long Term Support
This service funds Debian LTS contributors to ensure 5 years of security support to all Debian releases.
Discover the offer in this short introductory video:
Traditionally, Debian manages security support of a given stable release until the next stable release plus one year. Roughly, this amounts to 3 years which is not enough for many organizations and does not allow to deploy version N+2 once N is no longer supported. To overcome this limitation, Freexian is offering three distinct services:
- The funding of the work of Debian LTS team members to achieve 5 years of support. This is what is presented on this page.
- Debian Extended LTS for the organizations that need more than 5 years of support;
- PHP LTS for organizations that use alternate PHP releases (i.e. not shipped by Debian).
To achieve the 5 years of support, and properly cover all Debian packages, Freexian organizes a corporate sponsorship campaign with the goal of funding the work of multiple Debian contributors who are established as independent workers.
If you are not yet convinced, here are seven reasons why you should help fund the Debian Long Term Support initiative (LTS):
- Ensure prioritized support of the packages that you are using;
- Let the LTS team know which packages you are using and ensure that they don’t stop security support before the start of Extended LTS;
- Ensure that security updates will not generate regressions in your production infrastructure by providing functional tests to run before release;
- Benefit from direct contact to the LTS staff in case of specific queries and requests;
- Influence the work of sponsored developers so that Debian continues to fit your needs;
- Generate goodwill among the free software community thanks to your appearance in the list of sponsors;
- Benefit from the experience of people from other Debian-using companies thanks to a private mailing list.
Join the initiative now!
|Funding level||Basic 1||Basic 2||Bronze 1||Bronze 2||Bronze 3||Silver 1||Silver 2||Gold 1||Gold 2||Platinum|
|Packages to prioritize||Weighted on the amount sponsored|
|Thanked as sponsor:||Bronze||Silver||Gold||Platinum|
|Private mailing list|
|Direct contact to LTS staff|
|Submit your own test cases|
Once you have submitted your subscription form, Freexian will prepare an invoice and send it to you for immediate payment.
You can opt for any of the following payment methods. They are listed by order of preference (preferred first):
- SEPA Direct Debit (EUR only). For companies in SEPA countries, we can automatically debit your bank account. You have to fill the SEPA mandate in the subscription form.
- Credit/Debit Card (EUR/USD). Click here to access an online payment form letting you pay with a credit card. You can automate payments over a year.
- Manual wire transfer (EUR only). When you get the invoice, you manually initiate a wire transfer on our bank account (IBAN+BIC are on the invoice). For SEPA countries, this is called SEPA Credit Transfer.
- PayPal (EUR/USD). Click here to access PayPal payment forms letting you either setup a recurring payment or complete a single payment.
More details please
If you want to know more about this initiative, check out this page. It gives the context on the Debian side as well as supplementary information about the benefits. The FAQ will also try to clear up any doubt that you might have.
Freexian has been paying Debian contributors to work on Debian LTS since 2014 and they are doing their best to keep the packages used by sponsors of this initiative as secure as possible. In a spirit of transparency, you can checkout Freexian's monthly reports.
Contributing companies and organizations
We would like to thank all organizations that contribute towards Long Term Support of all Debian releases.
Although the aim of those contracts is to fund work time to Debian developers, those contracts are managed by Freexian and not by Software in the Public Interest (the legal entity representing the Debian project).