Debian Extended LTS by Freexian
This service extends security support for old Debian releases up to 10 years, albeit only on the subset of packages used by the customers of this service. Debian 8 and Debian 9 are currently maintained.
This service is an extension of the regular Debian LTS support already managed by Debian contributors funded by Freexian with the money collected among many sponsors.
To make Extended LTS possible and sustainable, there are supplementary restrictions compared to regular LTS:
- we support only the packages used by the customers
- we provide updates for a limited set of architectures (at least amd64, others can be added on request)
- we support the Linux kernel only with a backport of a newer kernel version
Customers are invoiced semi-annually for the amount needed to support their packages.
Each Debian release has some peculiarities in terms of support, open the associated page to discover them:
- Debian 8 Jessie will be supported until 30th June 2025.
- Debian 9 Stretch will be supported until 30th June 2027.
- Debian 10 Buster will be supported until 30th June 2029.
- Debian 11 Bullseye will be supported until 30th June 2031.
- Debian 12 Bookworm will be supported until 30th June 2033.
Request a quote
Organizations interested in getting security support for Debian 8 and/or Debian 9 should get in touch with us at email@example.com with the subscription form filled (even if not yet signed) and with the list of source packages that they want to see supported in each of those Debian releases (see instructions here for how to build those package lists).
We will get back to you with a quote detailing the cost of support for the upcoming semester and each of the following ones too. You will also have a file highlighting the packages that we can’t support and/or that require special attention. More information about this on our ELTS cost estimation model page.